Two Fruits

Thursday, August 27, 2009

Looking for Increased Speed

Today:
Distance: 14.4 km
Time: 71' 40"
Rate: 4' 58" per km ave
Weather: sunny, temp 15 degrees, humidity 40%, wind NW calm up to 20 kmph
Week: 48.95 km, Aug: 333.55 km, Year: 2918.45 km

With a marathon my next event, I need to increase my running speed. For the last few years, most of my running has been at fairly slow km pace, either hilly or long distance runs. Fitzroy Fall Fire Trail marathon in October will require some consistent pace, so today I started a plan to get some lost speed back.
The wind didn't ( or did ) help much as I used the gravel track between Bonython and Woodcock Dr. Covering just over a km with a slight rise about halfway, it's perfect if going to the oval at Calwell is not possible. The wind was westerly so helping and hindering. Five times 1 kms with 3 with the wind helping and 2 against.
Started easy with the first in 4' 27", then 4' 45" against the wind, then 4' 16" with the wind, 4' 47" against and finally 4' 06 " with the wind behind. Not that good, but I didn't want to do too much after a long break. Next week, I will try to improve.
Finished at Pine Is after a long recovery jog to stand in the water for 5 minutes, it's very cold but beneficial.
This weekend the weather forecast is not good. I have a few plans pending for Saturday, first option, the Cotter 21 mile, 2nd option, Mt Rob Roy from home, 3rd option, short run from home when rain stops, and last option, stay in bed and watch Video Hits. I'll know when I wake if I hear rain drops falling on the roof.

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home