Two Fruits

Monday, February 25, 2008

A Day in the Life of .......me

Today:
Distance: 15.3 km
Time: 84' 10"
Rate: 5' 30" per km
Weather: sunny, temp 24 degrees, humidity 40%, wind calm
Week: 29.0 km
Feb: 319.6 km
Year: 840.65 km

At the vet's handicap, I heard a week in the life of CJ story and wondered how she manages to get it all done. At times, she is so frustrating with time out through injury and holidays and inconsistency. Then she has me in awe at what she can achieve with shear determination and will power. That part I love about her.
Then she starts a new job, now in charge of others, stress, training for a marathon running 100 km per week, then going to classes at night to learn and improve herself, more stress. She must have 30 hour day to live by.
One of the classes at night is about or about to be about nutrition, so I decided to write down everything I ate today so see if it is really a suitable intake for what I do. It is not a diet, nor is it anything you can find in the fridge. Here is today bearing in mind the alarm went off this morning at 5: 50 am to start work at 7:00 am.

Breakfast: 6:15 am - corn flakes, sugar, hot milk, coffee
Morning tea: 10: 30 am - 2 x hot cross buns, 1 x wholemeal bread roll with curried egg, 1 small tin of peaches, coffee
Lunch: 1: 30 pm - 1 wholemeal bread roll with chicken & mayo, small tub of yoghurt, coffee
Afternoon tea: 4: 30 pm- last wholemeal bread roll with chicken & mayo, cantaloupe, small bottle of orange soft drink
On the road: 300 mil bottle of orange juice
Dinner: 7: 30 pm - teriyaki stir fry beef with noodles
Snack: 8:45 pm - 2 fun size chocolate flakes
During the day: 1.5 litres of water

Most days I don't know what I will be doing, I cover for those that don't turn up so any day could be a short as 7 hours or a spread over 12 hours at work. Just need to be prepared for anything. Today I had 4 hours off from 10:00 am to 2:00 pm when I had morning tea, a chat, went for a run down by the river, stood in the water for 10 minutes, shower, and some lunch. As you can see, it is more of little bits all day grazing than 3 meals a day. I find that I am never hungry or full, the blood glucose level must be reasonably level so no highs and lows. Certainly in ultra running you need to train your stomach to process food all the time while continuing to exercise.
Maybe I have it right, maybe someone can teach me a better way. Open to suggestions.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home