Two Fruits

Thursday, May 1, 2008

Scheduled Rest Day

Today: Nil

I recorded yesterday's run in my log book and realized I had run 9 days in a row. Now that is up there with longest running streaks of all time for me.
Mostly I run 4-5 days then have a day off, or a cross training day instead, mostly mtn bike riding as in a longer ride, not counting the ride to and from work each day.
This Saturday I plan to have an early morning start in the dark to familiarize myself with night running again. Not sure exactly, but probably out of bed at 3:00am, run at 4:00am to top of Mt Rob Roy, return home by 7:00am, drop off torch then continue on to get a 50 km or so run done. I have to take James to soccer later in the afternoon.
I now have just over two weeks before GH80, the plan is to fly to Brisbane on Saturday morning at 6:45 am, collect hire car at 9:00am from the airport, drive the 1.5 hrs to Caboolture, buy a few necessary items at the supermarket, then drive to the motel at Woodford near the start. Potter around for the afternoon, carbo load during Saturday and get some sleep from around 7:00pm to 1:00am. The idea of leaving Canberra early is I will be tired enough, but not exhausted to go to sleep.
The run starts at 3:00am giving 2 hours to get ready, drive 3 kms to the start, get weighed, fill in the medical form, check gear and drop bags and wait. The sun will be coming up about 6:15 am so the first 30 kms will require a torch, I can't wear a headlamp, distracting. This will coincide with a drink station at the Beerburrum School, HQ for Sept run where I can drop torch for sun glasses. The rest will be fairly straight forward. A drop bag at a couple of other drink stations with a can or two of creamed rice and the rest of the eating will be whatever is available. There is always plenty just need to keep the food and drinks intake constant. An empty stomach can lead to problems especially if the sun comes out and the temperature climbs quickly. This is why we will be weighed at the start, the figure noted on your race number in case in dehydration. Loss of weight is a signal of dehydration. Losing 3% can lead to having to wait to take on more fluid, and a 5% loss can mean withdrawal from the event. A 5% loss for me is only 3 kg so taking care is vital.
Hopefully I should be finished before 1:00pm and with the start/finish at the Woodford Swimming Complex, a dip in the unheated water will be great. BBQ lunch and a chat.
After that, back to the motel, shower and relax and get some sleep. Leave early Monday morning to catch a flight out of Brisbane around midday getting home mid afternoon. Back to work Tuesday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home