Two Fruits

Friday, November 30, 2007

The Girl Cyclist & Missy

Today:
Distance: 21.7 km
Time: 1 hr 53 mins 44 secs
Rate: 5' 14" per km
Weather: cloudy, temp 20 degrees, wind calm, humidity 60%
Week: 64.45 km
November: 405.95 km
Running days: 23 / 30
Ave: 17.65 km per run day
Year: 4018.25 km

The title of today's story could have been any one of many. I could have waffled on about going past 4000 kms for the year or exceeding 400 kms for the month. I could have given Ewen a rap for going out after 6:00pm tonight just as it started to rain. I could have even been self indulgent and said that my picture is in the latest edition of R4YL magazine. Or I ran to the top of Mt Taylor for the umpteenth time. All impressive, but...
My faith in the younger generation has been restored, at least some of them. Mostly, they hang around the town centres with little to do but cause trouble, start fights or intimidate the oldies, they seem to have a little regard for others.
Today, I stated from work, around the outside of Lake Tuggeranong on Cate's side, then up Athllon Dr towards the roundabout at Sulwood Dr. I must say, I was going well at this early stage, even with the gradual up hill all the way from the lake. I looked ahead after crossing Sulwood Dr and saw a young girl in front with a very nice racing bike stopped while she talked on a mobile phone. You know, can't go 10 minutes without talking to a friend. Got a bit closer and saw a young boxer dog running around, sniffing and generally being friendly and presumed both belonged together. Continued on the road towards the horse paddocks as I intended to go to the top of Mt Taylor. Doggie started to follow me, so I stopped hoping Missy( name on collar)would go back to the girl with the mobile phone and bicycle.
After a short while she rode up the road to get Missy and I stopped for a chat. Seems Missy had escaped from home in Mawson and was out for some self imposed exercise. Girl cyclist had phoned a number on Missy's collar and told the owner that Missy was out and she was waiting with her until some one came to collect. We had quick chat about what both of us was doing, my mountain running and she is a pursuit track rider, fast over 200o metres for the under age competitors with state and national titles on in December and January. She was out on a 60 km bike ride and had stopped to make sure Missy was going to make it home safely. Missy was getting tired at this stage, looking for a drink and a rest. Girl cyclist had Missy under control and would look after her until the owner turned up.
She would have lost well over an hour out of her riding time to take care of Missy, most would have ridden past and not cared. Well done girl cyclist, I hope you do well at the upcoming titles.
Sometimes inspiration comes from a small incident, I scooted up the mountain, back down at some pace to find girl cyclist and Missy had gone, probably never to be seen my me again.
Back down Athllon Dr all the way to the depot, stopped for a drink then continued down to Pine Is to stand in the river and relax. The legs needed a rest, but after 15 minutes half a dozen of those other teenagers, now with nothing to do with school nearly finished, turned up. Out of the water and back to work.
I had a good day out, solid run and met someone willing to sacrifice a little to help others.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home