Two Fruits

Thursday, June 10, 2010

Lost in Gordon

Today:
Distance: 16.7 km
Time: 89' 41"
Rate: 5' 22" per km
Weather: nice, for winter, sunny, temp 12 degrees, humidity 40%, wind calm
Week:: 51.3 km, June: 95.7 km
Year: 2077.25 km in 23 weeks at ave 90.3 kms per week

I had to finally increase the mid week running. After yesterday's cold and windy weather, today was somewhat of a surprise. The sun was shining, it wasn't cold at midday, and the wind had gone.
I ran south to start in case the wind started blowing off the snow, I then had assistance on the return. A trip towards Gordon with that nasty steep short hill behind the houses at the Point Hut end. In fact it is almost behind Elle's place, which I found out by trial and much error.
The story goes like this. I had just come up from Point Hut on to Jim Pike ave when Elle driving along slows down and says " I'll put the jug on" I say "Ok". Did I know where to go, no. I knew the street name, that's all. Ran up that "nasty steep slope" of a hill behind the houses, along the top fire trail, down through the streets, stop to ask a man walking a couple of dogs, looks like a local. No idea where the street is. Bugger, keep going, finally see a postman, they know everything!
Of course he knows where the street is. He says keep going, turn right, turn left, past a couple of more, then on your left is the street. Beauty, navigation is my strong point.
I find the street, don't know house number, may be I can find a neighbour out the front. No one in sight. Give up, and run back to Point Hut, and back to work.
Then home tonight look in the yellow pages phone book for a map of Gordon. The maps don't go that far south, most of Gordon is missing as is Conder & Banks.
Best run since Gold Rush, felt as though the energy has returned and now ready to put in a few hard yards towards Tan 100 km in August.

3 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home