Two Fruits

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

On This Day....Way Back When

Today:
Distance: 5.45 km
Time: 27' 15"
Rate: 5' 00" per km
Weather: cloudy, temp 17 degrees, humidity 65%, wind east 10 kmph
Week: 49.9 km, Jan & Year: 86.15 km

On this day in 1971, a young timid youth started to work full time and get paid. This day was my first day at the Bank of New South Wales in Devonport, Tasmania. That was 40 years ago, how time flies.
Dressed up in new suit and tie, new shirt, new shoes, photo taken by mum for the family album. Thankfully that has been lost for many years.
I was only 17 years old, worked at the Devonport branch for a year before being transferred to Hobart to battle out life in the big city. In hindsight, should I have accepted the transfer or should I have stayed living at home for a bit longer, I will never know. You grow up very quickly young and naive in the city, especially when my home town had a population a two thousand people.
I lasted 18 and a half years in the bank, the first 15 years were great, the last couple became a drag, too many changes too quickly. Too much for me to handle, so I left when working in Launceston. Great decision, never regretted it for one moment.
Move forward to today, I drive a bus and run. I did both today, fairly easy at both, not one to push too hard any more. It's all about having fun.

3 Comments:

  • Wow - what a shame you have no photo - would have loved to see the 17 year old timid "you" all dressed up in new clothes and shoes for your first day at work. So when did you start running? You're right - time flies by so fast, scary really!

    By Blogger strewth, At January 4, 2011 at 11:18 PM  

  • As long as the buses don't go the same way as the banks and they make you work weekends.

    By Blogger Ewen, At January 6, 2011 at 6:33 PM  

  • Looks like we will be forced to work weekends if the Chief Manager has his way. There goes Saturday morning long run, Sunday vet's handicaps, most mountain running events. Even the occassional ex CCC events.

    By Blogger Two Fruits, At January 6, 2011 at 9:44 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home