Two Fruits

Sunday, June 24, 2007

Vet's Handicap - Mt Ainslie

Today:
Race distance: 9.3km plus warm up and self imposed long cool down = 17km
Race time: 40'50"
Race rate: 4'23.4" per km (very ave) - finished 72nd
Weather: sunny,calm,cold (gloves,long sleeved top),frost,humidity 70%,

Woke up with great expectations and looking forward to a handicap run on one of the long established courses around the base of Mt Ainslie. Very cold at home and no warmer at 8:30am at the run start so the enthusiasm soon disappeared after opening the car door. The warm up seemed to mean nothing as soon as my group started, all I saw were the other group starters disappearing into the distance.
Not much improved during the rest of the run until the up hill section with just a few kms to go when I managed to pass a few that were having a walk and, I presume just as hard a day as I was.
I suppose that all goes for having a few slack weeks of little training and it shows on the clock. The "gun" runners all passed so quickly, and I passed only a couple so slowly.
Still, a good day out in the crisp morning air, a typical winter Canberra morning. A survey put out by the club today includes a question on whether the summer handicap races should start earlier than 9:00am, but no question on a later start for winter.
Plenty of room for improvement over the next week months in my running.

1 Comments:

  • Start the winter ones at 11am and you might see me there if the weather is like today's.

    Only 72nd? I think you've been spending too much time watching BB.

    By Blogger Ewen, At June 24, 2007 at 9:02 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home