Two Fruits

Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Another One Bites the Dust

Today:
Distance: 18.2 km
Time: 1 hr 52 mins 42 secs
Rate: 6' 11" per km
Weather: mostly sunny, temp 17 degrees, humidity 45-35%, light SW wind at 10 kmph
Week: 45.4 km
Oct: 212.4 km
Year: 3877.8 km

Today's title is not because I like the song by Queen, or because the " Junkyard Dog" used to enter the ring to the music, back in the wrestling days of Hulk Hogan at WWF.
Unlike Speedygeoff there is no quad soreness, I must be used to the ups and downs of mountains. I will mention downs later.
Tuesday is my stay at work all day, and with a reasonably nice day, I was undecided as to go to the top of Mt Taylor or do the Kambah Pool loop. The latter won out as this may be the last chance before the warmer weather due to long grass providing cover for brown snakes.
After a quick cuppa and bread roll, I headed towards Urambi Hills. Around the back, I toughed out the long slopes as I reached Gleneagles. I relaxed and gained some pace on the down behind the houses, not looking as there was only a dirt track and a bit of grass, I tripped on a piece of steel poking out of the ground. Why was it there? One minute running along, carefree, next minute staring at the ground, covered in dirt and with two sore knees.
No real damage, just a bit of blood, looked good until I washed it off in the river. Continued the run after a short time of reflection, down to Kambah Pool, back along the river past Red Rocks gorge, past the kookaburra gate, and finally stopping at Pine Is. Stood in the water for 15 minutes, then for the first time this season, swam a few metres. Not as cold as expected, and good for you.
The supervisors at work were not impressed that I dared to run where the snakes could be, I have to tell them in future if I go out that way again this summer. Very proud of the knee damage, even found an antiseptic swab and a band aid to cover the damage. Wearing shorts and sitting behind the wheel may have attracted comments.
A slow run, the track from Kambah Pool to Pine Is is slow anyway. Nice day today, not so good for Wednesday, hopefully Ok for the bike ride on Thursday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home