Two Fruits

Sunday, November 29, 2009

On Duty at the Monthly Handicap

Today:
Distance: 4.5 km
Time: 25' 18"
Rate: 5' 37" per km
Weather: part sun/ cloud, temp 16 degrees, humidity 60%, wind calm to light NW off the lake
Week: 4.5 km, Nov: 336.35 km, Year: 4040.25 km

I could have run today but there was nothing important hanging on a result. Not in contention for any awards so I would have ran with the brakes on so not to get too close to the front. Holding back for next year.
A new course today in an old familiar area. Decided to do my duty although not really having to as I suppose I do enough every month at each handicap event. However only 10 of the 11 events held count and I did miss the July event when away trying to run for 24 hours in Qld.
I hovered around the car park to direct those that can't follow arrows, signs and other markings and not get get lost or take a short cut.
While waiting I did some 4 lots of jogging around the area. Felt Ok and glad I wasn't racing after a long run yesterday.
I have a few events written on the whiteboard at home now for next year. A notice to enter on line on Tuesday morning for Six Foot Track. Entries open at midnight and will fill to max of 850 very quickly. Then also must enter Tour de Mountain to be held on 20th Dec.
The chances of a 12/24 hour event are remote and will be too close to SFT if held with the Stromlo Running Festival.
Not sure about the 12 hour run at Dusk to Dawn at Caboolture in early Feb. It would be a good night run around the track but the humidity in Qld won't be helpful. Heat I can handle, humidity I can't.
Then after SFT in March, No 12 and get the belt, a toss up between Wilson's Prom 100/80 km in April , or North Face 100 km in the Blue Mountains in May, or Glasshouse Mtns 82 km in Qld also in May. The first two involve carrying a backpack, both hilly, the North Face hilly to mountainous, very tough. Probably take me around 15 hours so some night running at the end. Glasshouse is familiar territory, first 3 hours in the dark, 3 am start, but the course is known, not technically difficult in the dark. Easy weekend away, fly to Brisbane on Saturday, run Sunday morning finish at midday, fly out of Brisbane in the afternoon, sleep on the plane. Should get that job done in 10 hours, no backpack only requirement is to carry a drink bottle. Also weather will be warm, not hot. North Face could be anything, probably very cold in the valleys of the Blue Mountains.
"Tan" 100 km run still on for August in Melbourne, need a couple of good ultras mid year to consider Coast to Kozi in Dec 2010.
Well done today to Strewth on 3rd place. I'm sure the handicapper will be kind.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home