Two Fruits

Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Searching for Speed

Today:
Distance: 13.05 km
Time: 64' 14"
Rate: 4' 55" per km
Weather: cloudy, temp 16 degrees, humidity 60%, wind calm
Week: 38.35 km, Nov: 271.05 km, Year: 3974.95 km

The 5000 metres at the track on Thursday night has me worried I will finish last. The last few years has been full of long slow running with only the vet's monthly handicaps at speed.
I've put pressure on myself to run near 20 minutes. I can sometimes get near 4 minute km pace at a short monthly handicap, but that is usually early in the year. The timing is not right but I will give it a go.
CJ commented about why I would want to run 12.5 laps of the track. Well, the short answer is 1. I like track running, just don't get the opportunity at the moment, work hours, 2. I get to talk to others if I can catch them while going past, or they are going past me, 3. There is value for money $3 at the gate to run 5 km is .60 cents a km, better than a marathon at $100 for 42.195 kms or $ 2.37 per km, 4. It's the longest event on the program for the night, can't wait for the 1 hour run in January.
Today I ran home and back to work over a similar course to yesterday. Run home a bit shorter and faster. The best part was an improvement of 10 secs per km on the way back down to 4' 36" per km for 6 kms over some rough tracks. Happy with that, now hope for reasonable weather conditions on Thursday night for a good run.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home