Two Fruits

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Garmin, Garmin, Gone

Today:
Distance: 10.0 km
Time: 55' 44"
Rate: 5' 34" per km
Weather: sun/cloud, temp 21 degrees, humidity 50%, wind calm
Week: 59.8 km, Oct: 93.05 km, Year: 3636.9 km

A couple of weeks ago, my Garmin would not down load to the Training Centre where I keep all my the running data. I thought the copper or brass conductors on the back of the watch had worn down and would not allow the transmission of the data.
The watch would recharge Ok, but that's all. Now, the watch will not pick up the GPS signals from the satellites so all I have is a stop watch, without the auto pause.
I will now run on familiar courses with known distances until I buy a new GPS.
Next problem is the new ones have short battery life, 8 hours in some cases. Not much good recharging every few days or not long enough with insurance for a descent long training run.
But they are water proof to 1 metre for 30 minutes if I fall in at Vanities Crossing and decide to wait on a hot day.
Thanks to Speedygeoff on the information about the Cotter parking closure. Not sure if we can park somewhere away from the construction and still run out there on our usual trails.

2 Comments:

  • Can highly recommend the Garmin 310XT with 20hrs battery and waterproof. Best toy I've bought in long time.

    By Blogger Jog Blog, At October 7, 2010 at 4:22 PM  

  • Or you can do what I've been doing the past few years - run with friends (Ruth) who have Garmins. And there's always the track at Calwell - lane 6 is 437 metres, but you're not allowed to use it.

    Actually, 310XT would be my choice. You'll have to work a few double shifts to pay for it.

    By Blogger Ewen, At October 7, 2010 at 4:38 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home