Two Fruits

Tuesday, March 31, 2015

That Winning Feeling

Three Months Done

Distance:  999.2 kms in 3 months at ave  333.06 km p.m.

Altitude gain:  19, 212 metres at ave  6404 metres p.m.

The recovery from the CBR 100 km 10 days ago has been quicker than expected. However, I think that has much to do with the slow pace as there was no damage done. Just getting enough quality sleep, some easy mountain bike rising & a couple of trips to the river and all is good.
However, there will always be residual fatigue under the surface that will show up as soon as I up the intensity, so care needed.
Last Saturday, I did a beautiful, nice and easy training run over the southern end of the Bullen Range on a picture perfect day. Great recovery and still getting to enjoy the outdoors.
Sunday, somehow, I managed my first ever win at the monthly running handicap. Starting out of a " soft" group start at 23, I managed to pass a few & hold on for the win on the grass cross country course at Stromlo Forest Park.
It's not my most favourite course, but the grass surface certainly is nice to run on & in great condition.
Felt good all the way, passing many that started ahead of me helped the confidence. As an out and back course, done twice, it's easy to see the others all around the course. Slightly undulating in places certainly helps me as I like the more difficult courses.
Probably won't like what the handicapper has to say later this week, but I'll go back to where I really should be. Running badly late last year due to injury pushed my group start forward on a month to the point where I have now recovered & winning was almost a certainty.
Winning gives confidence to keep going.
The past 2 weeks have also given the desire to get outback for another long ultra run later this year. Just where I go, yet to be decided. Warm weather will be needed, I'm not going if it's cold.
Struggling through my first winter in 4 years almost here now will be character building again.
Might well be the last .








2 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home