Two Fruits

Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Urambi Hills

Today:
Distance: 19.45 km
Time: 1 hr 50 mins 29 secs
Rate: 5' 41" per km
Weather: cloudy, temp about 12 degrees, light wind from NW, humidity 60%

Week: 32.95 km
July: 276.65 km
Year: 2376.75 km

Today was the first time since Dec last year that I have been able to run from work during the day. One of my favourite places to go is over the top of Urambi Hills. To get there without running on the main road, I go down past Pine Is, along a track I call the high river track which basically is behind the Centrelink building in Tuggeranong and comes out near the overflow of the Tuggie Creek. From there I cross over the creek, run to the top of Urambi Hills, touch the trig point, continue to the 2nd peak and down to fire trail behind the Kambah houses and finish up near Gleneagles. This is the same track as used by the vets for our monthly handicap event, not used any more because some thought it too difficult.
Then I went over to the open paddock behind Urambi to meet the Tuggie Creek a little bit down from the wooden bridge. From here I followed the river track towards Kambah Pool but stopped near Red Rocks Gorge at a step through gate I call the " Kookaburra Gate".
A couple of years ago I approached this gate to find a kookaburra perched on top, not interested in moving at all. Me, being the nature loving person I am, did not want to make to bird move, so I went up the fence line about 30 metres, climbed over the fence and continued on my run. Kookaburra did not move at all, what a life!!
I turned around today and went back to Pine I and the depot on the lower river track, nice soft sand and gravel. A great training area, hills, water,plenty of distance, good tracks, technical in places, solitary, birds, kangaroos, nature at it's best. Sure beats the concrete jungle and roads.
For the natural living way of life people, that is, how you were born (naked) , a person I see quite often down this way at any time of the year, was having a nice day enjoying the scenery. This person always says hello or acknowledges your presence as you run by. Nice tan!! So much better when the weather is sunny and warmer, however, each to their own.
Good run today, km rate slowed by the climb up Urambi. Feel as though I have turned the corner, each run seems to be getting better. Saturday's 25 km and back up on Sunday will tell the true story.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home