Two Fruits

Wednesday, May 14, 2008

The Frustration of Tapering Week

Today:
Distance: 12.8 km
Time: 67' 16"
Rate: 5' 15" per km
Weather: sunny/part cloud, temp 18 degrees, humidity 50%, NW wind at 10 kmph
Week: 37.75 km
May: 183.55 km
Year: 1918.2 km

Very frustrating being on leave, nice days and not being able to get some long runs done with a big event on at the weekend. However, I did wait until nearly midday today to get out as I need the temp to resemble that of Queensland. The overnight temp at Woodford will be about 17 degrees at 3:00am rising during the morning to be about 23 degrees at the noon.
Previously on trips to run in Qld, conditions have been good for running except in 2002 when I did the 50 mile at end of Sept. That day, the run started at 6:00am, temp was over 30 degrees by mid morning and 34 degrees when I finished. Strangely, that day was one of my best ever runs, I finished 3rd overall in just a few seconds over 9 hours. Gee, would be glad to do that again.
Today, no chance for the temp to reach 30 degrees, but 18 was nice enough. A run more to get to the river with nothing now to be gained except freshen up. Stood in the water for 15 minutes, cold to get into, but after the body from the waist down goes numb, you don't feel anything. Must be doing good.
Probably a full rest day tomorrow, easy 8 km on Friday early, then fly out on Saturday morning. Race starts at 3:00am on Sunday morning.
I must say good luck to all those mountain goats doing the North Face 100km in the Blue Mountains this weekend. I had thought about entering, but with 4,500 metres of climbing in 100 kms, much of it in the dark on unfamiliar tracks, I decided a mere 80 km on the same weekend would be of more benefit for me in the long term. Glasshouse is virtually flat by that measure and I will be back in Sept as well, so just gaining a bit more experience will help.
Strewth, running hills doesn't make you faster, just the strength you get means you can maintain what speed you have for longer. Tempo runs and Speedygeoff's sessions make you faster. Good luck in the half on Sunday.

3 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home