Two Fruits

Sunday, March 29, 2009

Monthly Handicaps - No. 150

Today:
Race distance: 8.0 km plus warm up jog 1.1 km
Race time: 36' 53"
Rate: 4' 37" per km
Finished: 82 nd
Weather: sunny, temp 18-23 degrees, humidity 30%, wind calm
Week: 9.1 km
March: 250.7 km
Year: 1081.1 km

We ran at Stromlo Forest Park for the first time today. Very different racing on grass then, off on to dirt and gravel before returning to finish on the grass. I gather most runners liked the venue from the response at the presentations.
I have now ran 150 monthly handicaps starting way back in 1994 at Mt Ainslie. I have never been first across the line or won a gold medal, but then I have never finished last either. Consistency is the key as I have won the overall points score twice, 1999 & 2006, as well as a second place in 1995 & third in 2000.
Today, a beaut day for late March, we shared the area with cyclists from Hartley Lifecare, which didn't create any real problems. Not recovered fully from Six Foot Track, I did my best which wasn't very good finishing 82nd, at least not last. But I did enjoy the course, an out and back getting the chance to see others runners at various times. No chance to catch Strewth, Ewen's beer still cold in his fridge.
Also great to have Sue out for a run with us, obviously I wasn't concentrating when we were out running, or I would have said hello during the run.
I hope a bit of a faster hit out today may have loosened the sciatic nerve problem. Left leg gave no problem, the swelling in my left foot has gone so I can't blame them for today's performance. Obviously I just needed some rest, and I get some good training done now towards GH80 in May and before the cool weather sets in for winter.

3 Comments:

  • Congratulations S on your 150th run with the vets! Well done!!! You are incredible.
    I enjoyed my run so much I'm going to join up next monthly handicap xx
    Good to see old faces still out there running & keeping fit.
    Good day good weather & good company.
    Sue Bowden

    By Blogger stevosid, At March 29, 2009 at 6:12 PM  

  • Good to read your injuries are disappearing. I ejoyed the course today much more than the Cross Country one at Stromlo - more variety. Well done on 150 runs - woo hoo!

    By Blogger strewth, At March 29, 2009 at 8:47 PM  

  • Congrats on the 150. So sorry Strewth was too good for you ;)

    By Blogger Ewen, At March 30, 2009 at 3:42 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home