Two Fruits

Saturday, July 18, 2009

Calwell Oval - A Bit of Everything

Today:
Distance: 21.95 km
Time: 113' 46"
Rate: 5' 11" per km
Weather: sunny, temp 8-11 degrees, humidity 50%, NW wind at 10 kmph
Week: 81.8 km, July: 260.4 km, Year: 2528.6 km

A mixed day of running. Woke up this morning to a thick frost and plenty of fog. Listened to the news on the radio at 8 am to hear it was still -3 degrees outside, so turned the radio off and went back to bed. No point being a hero in the middle of winter.
The fog lifted around 10:30 so a little while later went out for a run. No idea on what to do or where to go. Running past Calwell shops I decided to take a look at the oval, it was vacant. The run down was the warm up.
Using the theory that speed is not required at this time with only two week to go before Qld, I tried to run slowly in lane 5. A few soccer players started to arrive after a while but one of them told me they were not playing until 1 pm. That was good news, still plenty of time and room to keep circulating.
The grass track is still in good condition for winter, soft enough under foot with no holes or muddy patches.
Ran 10 laps at around 4' 55" per km pace, then walked a lap in 3' 50". The part that then surprised me is how slowly I started running again, much slower than the previous easy pace I was running before the walking. Must remember that for Qld. Another 10 laps in opposite direction. Finished with 20 laps of running, 10.95 kms at 4' 51" per km ave. As slow as I could go, I will have to keep that in mind, way too fast to start with up north. Then after watching the first few minutes of the soccer game ran home.
Stuart come over to fix the microphone from the vet's PA system, it needs replacing. A little later, I had to take a few things down to his place in Gordon, this added another 6 kms to the mornings total of 16 kms.
Nice afternoon, sunny and almost warm out of the light breeze.
Not enough kms for the day, but that was the best I could manage. However, the mixture that it was, I think a bit of quality over quantity was good. Happy with the laps on the oval, the walk was at a reasonable walking pace, and I needed that information to finalise a race plan for Qld.
Ewen, had I ventured to the Cotter this morning, I was informed Elizabeth T was out there for the first time in a long time. Knees are not good, but at least she is still about. I should have been out there, but it was too cold for me. I will write to her and find what she has been doing. Heaps of ability, never really saw the best of her running. So good up hill.

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home