Two Fruits

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Same Again

Today:
Distance: 12.8 km
Time: 67' 16"
Rate: 5' 15" per km
Weather: sunny, cool, temp 9 degrees, humidity 55%, wind NW at 20 kmph
Week & August: 43.25 km, Year: 2892.9 km

Another " run around the block" type run at lunch time. Nothing special.
I don't know if I could run 100 kms at this pace on average. That is near enough to the pace Kerrie B ran at Gold Coast in June to get under 9 hours. Way too fast for me, I'm thinking more like 1 minute slower on average at least, so starting at 6 minute pace.
That's 10 km per hour or try to get to 60 km in 6 hours and see how it's going. To do that will mean very little stopping to eat and drink, just grab & continue on. Even a little walking to get the food and drinks down early will pay dividends later on.
It's not the pace you do the 1st half in, it's the pace you go in the 2nd half. Most time will be lost when you ache all over, feel like sitting under the next tree and going to sleep. And that's on a good day, too bad if that happens early, or Melbourne's weather turns bad.
That's when we call on Ruth & Ewen for some pacing and help. I hope they know plenty of jokes or can sing me a song. Anything distraction will do.
Looking forward to the whole adventure, it's going to be a great day. Can't wait.

2 Comments:

  • I'll be taking the same approach - a VERY conservative start, walking through the pit stop for food/fluid and probably walking up the Anderson St hill more often than not. I'd rather finish in a very slow time than not finish. I think our paces will be similar so we can coordinate some laps together.

    By Blogger Jog Blog, At August 5, 2010 at 11:23 AM  

  • Sounds good to me. I'm up for 6 minute ks and enjoying the scenery with a bit of walking.

    I'll get Ruth to print off some jokes - starting with the iPod one :)

    By Blogger Ewen, At August 5, 2010 at 8:41 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home