Two Fruits

Thursday, April 9, 2009

And The Winner Was ?

Today:
Bike Ride: Time Trial - Distance: 11.6 km in 33' 23" at 20.8 kmph
Run: Easy - Distance: 5.35 km in 29' 27" at 5' 30" per km
Weather: perfect, sunny, temp 21 degrees, humidity 30%, wind calm
Running:
Week: 70.15 km
April: 108.15 km
Year: 1220.55 km

We decided to turn a race in to a time trial to make it fair. My plan outlined in yesterday's story remained the same although the opposition wouldn't be in sight.
The course would start at the bottom of Learmonth Dr at Athllon Dr corner. Then over to Drakeford Dr to climb ever so slightly past Kambah Village to Sulwood Dr. Turn left to Kambah Pool Road, then a long down hill past Murrumbidgee Golf Club to finally hit dirt on a track past Gleneagles houses. Some up hill here as we would climb to the fire trail track on Urambi Hills that leads back to the start.
The time trial idea would take the racing out of the event, a bit safer as some of the course is bike paths, crossing a couple of roads, the down hill on Kambah Pool Road is on road. The rest was dirt and undulating to a bit rough but safe. As well a couple of stock gates to open and close.
A perfect day to be riding and enjoying the great outdoors. Just two of us participated, others welcome to join in, but the thought of having their backsides kicked by a couple of amateurs proved too much. Tinker 1 had the new hair cut, so the helmet would have flattened the hair.
Kevvie set out 5 minutes in front, no need for a map, no where to take a short cut either so honesty would prevail on sticking to the right track. Conditions were in my favour as I chased hard 5 minutes later. I knew the long up hill towards Kambah Village would help me, taking a bit of sting out of Kevvie's legs early. I met John K on his bike coming toward me as I pushed on, middle gears trying to do it easy enough to save something for the hills later.
Lucky with a couple of road crossings as I didn't have to wait at all, I think Kevvie had a short stop at one, but no excuse. Turned on to Sulwood Dr then on the long down hill of Kambah Pool Road, a couple of kms on the road and my undoing on a ride last year when the wind blew and I went side ways then almost backwards. No problems today, great riding, low on the handle bars and peddling hard in top gear. Still no sight of the leader, starting to worry as well I may have cooked the goose early putting the legs into a lactic meltdown.
Finally turned in on to the dirt, much more at home on the softer surface with some hills now in my favour. The golfers ignored me as I sped past towards Gleneagles. Then, there in the distance, a dark coloured mountain bike rider pushing hard up hill towards Urambi Hills fire trail. Once I saw him, I knew I had him covered, but anything was still possible. A good couple of minutes in front nearing the first stock gate, we had to do the right thing, if the gate was closed then go through and close it behind you. Any cattle in the area could be told to moooove without penalty. Kangaroos could make their own arrangements, hop away or watch the "action".
I was going well, leader in sight, feeling good, strong enough to keep in touch on the hills. Just before the second stock gate, I was close enough to shout leave the gate open. Then the best part, and where I though I would be left behind, the undulating dirt fire trail, I kept pace with Kevvie. Somewhere I had found good rhythm and confidence to push hard on the technical fast stuff, never really my forte.
I didn't ever get in front, maybe as close as 20 metres, with Kevvie pulling away near the end on the steep descent to the finish at the bottom of Learmonth Dr at Athllon Dr.
By time I had a better time by 4 minutes 45 secs or so, but the real winner was the day, the fun, the enjoyment, the build up to the day and the talk after.
Later I went out for a short run down to the river, 20 minutes in the water to cool down.
Probably as good a day as I have had for a while, the weather was perfect for outdoors fun, no crashes or near misses, a good event for a couple of mugs.
A runner that rides against a tennis/squash player that rides well. A fair contest. Next time we go back to an easy ride just to enjoy ourselves with anyone else that wants to come along. Thursdays, 10:00 am outside the front doors of the depot, after school holidays have finished.
All excuses accepted if unable to attend, having to work not acceptable, get a better boss.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home