Two Fruits

Monday, June 22, 2009

The Beautiful and The Ugly

Today:
Distance: 14.75 km
Time: 78' 52"
Rate: 5' 21" per km
Weather: sunny after fog lifted, temp 9 degrees, humidity 90%, wind calm
Week: 28.9 km, June: 290.75 km, Year: 2146.8 km

I don't normally take too much interest in politics either local or federal, other than to try to know what is happening. So when this " Utegate" affair has blown up over the weekend, still not much interest except pollies doing what they do best, insult each other and Australia's intelligence. Grown up kids!!
However, I did hear on the radio this morning that the police had searched the home of the treasury official who gave evidence last Friday. Still not much to worry about until I looked in the phone book at lunch time to see where he lived. He lives south side of Canberra, even closer he lives just one street from my place. Does that me important, I don't think so.
Ran what I may use as a standard run from work around the back of Bonython, then over to the nature park near the dog exercise area, along the river track to Pine Is and back to work. Just depending on the exact course, distance will be around 9 km. Rode my mountain bike home for lunch.
To return to work, my running track takes me on to Johnson Dr, then down Woodcock Dr to Bonython. As I left my place, through a bike track between houses, I came across a street full of cars, TV cameras, sound recordists and journalists almost blocking my path. The ugly side was the hounding of 3 people trying to walk down the street ignoring their invasion of privacy. Obviously none was the treasury official, centre of attention, but family or friends there to offer support. Stressful enough without journalists hounding them.
I stopped for a second to watch and understand the situation, then continued to run through the middle of the mass of people. I hope I upset their picture taking.
The professions with the lowest ranking in the credibility stakes were all on display today, politicians, journalists and used car people. Now I know why.
The beautiful side of today happened not long after. Behind Bonython and as described in Ewen's home video, the kangaroos were close enough to touch. Just a metre away and not a bit scared. So close and so nice.
We may live in a political town, but we are ordinary people living in ordinary suburbs, doing ordinary things in life. So running ultras is not ordinary, neither is up and down mountains, but lots of other people I know do the same.

1 Comments:

  • I saw the photo of the house in the paper and was trying to work out where it was - now I know!

    I'm going to carry the camera with me a bit more often and try and get some film of them hopping along beside me. I'm after the wombat and echidna too!

    By Blogger Ewen, At June 23, 2009 at 7:04 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home