Two Fruits

Monday, January 24, 2011

I Watch & Read With Interest

Today:
Distance: 5.8 km
Time: 32' 15"
Rate: 5' 34" per km
Weather: sunny, warm, temp 27 degrees, humidity 50%, wind NW 15 kmph
Week: 16.15 km, Jan & Year: 350.15 km

Early into the new year and most of us have set our targets for the year, or at least the first half of the year.
Needless to say, we are positive, we have found a plan that we hope will get us to the finish line. But I wonder if it is the right plan for me?
For example, Carol Baird was an excellent ultra walker & runner until she injured her ankle at SFT. She would do long run/walk sessions over two consecutive days, may be 4 hours or more each day. I could never do that, I would break down very quickly if I tried, but it works for some. I have always done longer on one day and rested the next, that is how the races are held.
The other session I believe has doubtful benefit are short hill repeats for long distance running like marathons or events like Six Foot Track. Better off incorporating them into a long run, up and down the hills, walk if necessary. There is no substitute for going out there and running, just for the fun of it.
My message is by all means follow a plan, just make sure it is right one for you. Don't become an injured statistic not making the start line let alone the finish line.
Who will be the first to have to take a week off training through injury ? No one I hope. Be carefull.

2 Comments:

  • Short hill repeats ARE great for distance runners - if you don't accept me as an authority, how about Arthur Lydiard or Percy Cerutty?

    Anyway, it's not a case of either-or short repeats-surges up hills in long runs. Both are of much value.

    "Variety" is my word of the month. (The month in question is February.) Variety combined with gradually adaption to change is the right combination for avoiding injury. As opposed to,say, hindsight.

    By Blogger speedygeoff, At January 25, 2011 at 1:29 PM  

  • I think cross-training also helps prevent injury - a bit of swimming and/or cycling and lots of stretching/yoga type exercise. But you're right - different courses for different horses. In the end we all just hope we make the distance injury-free on the day!

    By Blogger strewth, At January 25, 2011 at 11:07 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home