Two Fruits

Thursday, December 27, 2012

Fitness Testing

Today:
Purpose:  Get home
Distance:  6.65 km
Time: 37' 50"
Rate: 5' 40" per km
Weather: sunny, temp 20 degrees, humidity 40%, wind NW 10 kmph

Week:  46.35km,  Dec: 423.25 km,  Year:  4551.4 km

There are cross benefits of mixing up the training disciplines, run with bike, gym, some swimming, etc.  Normally, I ride my mountain bike to work as a means of transport.
A few years ago, a group from work did some riding in our lunch breaks, mostly around 20-25 kms off road. Good social fun, but not fitness improving. Most of us took a tumble at some stage, no real injuries.
I can tell how my fitness level is by which gear I need to ride in on the bike when I ride home at night up Outtrim Ave.
Outtrim Ave is not steep, just a continuous climb until I turn off into my street.
Mostly I ride easy in low big gear and about 3 or 4 in the back little gears. Now, I can ride up the hill in 6-8 in the back little gears. It's getting easier, even on warm afternoons after a day at work.
However, as most of my fitness training is running, I don't think the opposite would apply. As much as the triathletes would have you believe, the cross over is not all that great.
Best I stick to running, bike riding is too time consuming to get the same fitness benefit.

1 Comments:

  • I agree Two Fruits. For me, bike riding is for recreation or transport rather than fitness. It's different for triathletes though in that they clearly have to have bike specific endurance/fitness for their event. That, and the water aspect of swimming, are the two main reasons I could never be a triathlete :)

    By Blogger Jog Blog, At December 28, 2012 at 12:25 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home