Two Fruits

Thursday, January 12, 2012

Mt Taylor & Back

Today:
Distance:  20.1 km
Time: 2 hrs 0 mins 45 secs
Rate: 6' 00" per km
Weather: sunny, temp 18 degrees, humidity 35%, wind cool SW 10 kmph
Week: 46.05 km,  Jan & Year: 197.4 km

I ran from work around the outside of Lake Tuggeranong to Athllon Dr. Then up to Sulwood Dr to find the track to the top of Mt Taylor like peak hour. Plenty of people with their dogs out enjoying the sunshine which is really nice to see.
Everyone is friendly, no doubt we all know how hard it is to get to the top of this mountain. One lady doing it the hard way with baby in capsule on her front, looking to regain her own fitness after baby being born.
Down on the Torrens side on the zig zag track, then back to Athllon Dr  & all the way to work. A very quick hello from a distance to Kelley doing fast something. She is cutting out the distance now & concentrating on shorter, faster running. Age is catching up on her, she says.
I didn't push too hard today, trying to keep moving and I did with only the few steps half way up where I walked as the steps are too far apart for my short legs to run. Otherwise, very happy with the outing.

Jog, as I have never been to a proper gym where the participants actually know or are supervised in what they are doing, I have my own routine that seems to work for me.
I usually have the gym at work with the machines to myself. We have another room with free weights, but I don't go in there as I don't know enough about technique to use them correctly.
Yesterday's short run was the warm up as it was a non running, rest day. I use 5 apparatuses plus the rowing machine & the mat. In a 3 lap circuit non stop, I do between 15 & 20 reps at each apparatus plus 25 sit ups, 2 different types. The weight increases after the first circuit, warmed up the muscles. All are upper body, no leg work, that's what running up hills is about.
A quick drink as I pass the water bottle each time. Stop after 3 circuits, quick breather then off again. I try to keep it as an aerobic session like Cross Fit as well.  Some apparatuses have different weights to others, my strength pushing up is not as good as pulling down, pushing out or pulling in.
Even so, after 6-7 circuits even lighter weights are muscles killing, sore shoulders & arms after yesterday's session for the first time. I did push the pace & the weight.
I think it is working for me. I feel better overall & after 2 months, even with a couple of breaks for Christmas & a trip to Tassie, I know it will help retain upper body form. It is designed to stop the upper body from fatiguing before the lower & legs give out in the ultras.
I'll keep it going, it's good fun which is something I thought I would never say.

2 Comments:

  • Impressive! Can't wait for the 2F v Mrs Muscles arm wrestle. Beats my 1/2 a chin-up on the Speedygeese Parly House warm-up jog.

    By Blogger Ewen, At January 13, 2012 at 6:34 PM  

  • Your upper body circuit sounds challenging! Good on you! Re: your question about how to get the recommended amount of protein in post strength sessions, as a vegetarian this is an ongoing issue/problem for me in normal/daily life. My answer is in drinking protein supplements. There are plenty of well balanced and palatable ones available at places like Planet Max, health food shops and online healthfood/pharmacy type stores. It helps if you like chocolate as many of them seem to be chocolate flavoured or blended with chocolate. Good luck and enjoy!

    By Blogger Jog Blog, At January 13, 2012 at 7:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home