Two Fruits

Sunday, September 27, 2015

The Monthly Challenge aka The Monthly Handicap

Running:

The challenge is returning to the running scene after a demanding adventure such as the long run I did a couple of weeks ago & detailed in my last post.
I have been through this before & I know exactly what to expect.
After the last run day there is the euphoria of finishing, a good result even if not the adventure being a race.
During the following week, providing there have been no injuries ( there were none, not even a blister), the excitement continues, probably the adrenaline still working overtime. A bit of excitement as well being out in unexplored territory. That's the good part.
Second week comes the start of the let down, mostly mentally as the body is fighting to recover physically. The excitement is slowly fading, almost yesterday's news as the body repair takes time. Rest & good sleep is hard to get. Seems parts of the body are in go slow, and other parts want to move on quickly. Mentally, you now want to run again. Physically, there is still so much residual fatigue. Then there is the immune system fighting as it always does to keep you healthy. As expected I have picked up some blocked sinuses, the body just can't fight both fatigue & sickness at the same time. I'll be fine by mid week, just in time to go back to work.
I generally use the weather as a guide here. A rough day, cold & windy is an easy way to say don't go out. A nice day, sunny, warm & calm usually is an excuse to try to do a little bit of running.
Yesterday, I joined my mate to very slowly amble ( a bit of running & a lot of walking) around the local trails. I won't publish the figures, too embarrassing. But, the 20 kms done still goes in the training diary.
Today, knowing I was nowhere near recovered, I still ran the monthly handicap over 8 kms from near the Bruce CIT in O'Connor. A beautiful morning, sunny, mild to warm ( no long sleeves needed today).
Luckily, I has Jen as company with both of us comfortable, and slow enough, to chat all the way.
I finished 41st out of 53, running the 8 kms in 42' 15" at 5' 16" pace. I was in with a slight chance in the yearly points, but this one has finished that off. However, 2 gold medals in one year is a great result.
Happy to get it done, a wonderful morning to catch up with others.










2 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home